5/25/2008

Music Monday: Jools Holland compendium

Since it's Music Monday and all, I just wanted to recount my run-in with some emo band yesterday. I took the kid to the shop to get a newspaper, and on our way back there were a trio of lost, skinny ass emo American kids. They couldn't find their way back to a local music venue, so I kindly pointed them in the right direction, as I am nice like that and always looking to help fellow Yanks. I came home, googled the venue, and lo and behold, they are apparently some (all?) members of some Maryland (East Coast - reppin!) band called All Time Low. I joked with The Dude that I was going to take P and run away with them, but I don't like weedy little guys whose skinny jeans are too big for them. In addition, emo guys - ick. They'd probably cry after sex, cut themselves or some such shit.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Rather than focusing on one artist, I'm again going to go with a theme. This week it's artists whose performances I have enjoyed recently on Jools Holland. For those not in the know, Jools Holland is a musician who hosts a show (Later with Jools Holland) on BBC2 showcasing 4 or 5 performers each week. Everyone who is anyone has been on there in the past including my hero Johnny Cash.

No doubt in some cases I won't be able to find the actual Jools performances, since the BBC is obsessed with copyright malarky just like everyone else. Say, like these two:

Jimmy Cliff: Many Rivers to Cross



White Lies: Unfinished Business



Bon Iver: Skinny Love



Liam Finn: Second Chance



Lykke Li: Little Bit



DeVotchKa: Clockwork Witness



I will be doing an all-DeVotchKa week at some stage, so much do I love them. In the meantime, YouTube them and enjoy.

Dawn Kinnard: Clear the Way



Black Kids: I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You



Martina Topley-Bird: Carnies



That ought to keep you crazy kids busy for awhile. I will be doing Mel's NaCommentThingie (I've done my part for today - breaking arm, patting oneself on back, etc) this week, but I don't know if I'll post much before Thursday. I have an interview on Wednesday for a job in a far away place and must spend the next couple of days preparing for my PRESENTATION and interview. Oy. This is like, a Big Time Job (BTJ), one which would need me to be moderately professional and unable to call the manager of my office a cunt with my friend/co-worker as I do now. That's a naughty word, I know, but seriously, the cunt totally deserves it.

Anyway, cuntishness aside, wish me luck. I think we all know I'm going to need it.

19 comments:

JJ said...

Wishing you luck, and thanks for the tunes!

kate said...

Oooh. Love, love, love Bon Iver...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment.

And I fully believe we wo-fems need to take back the CUNT word. CUUUUUNT. It's just such the perfect descriptor when "twat" isn't strong enough. Yep.

I think I'll have to stop in here and check your blog out, 'cos I like you, too.

Anonymous said...

Love that Jimmy Cliff song! That's been an anthem for me for a good while.
Good luck with the interview! Hope you charm the pants off them :)

Linda said...

Good luck! I hope you get the BTJ, lack of LSO's not withstanding.

Briar said...

heh. cuntishness. heh.

ps - i didn't get all my comments in before midnight but i haven't gone to sleep yet. so it counts.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Also, good luck with the not-calling-people-cunts thing. I swear most extraordinarily vilely, and the intense Pavlov-style training I had to put myself through just to keep my damn mouth SHUT at work, oy vey.

I recognised all the tunes! I was remarking excitedly on this to H, when he sighed and pointed out to me I have been quite ferocious about watching Jools every single damn week ever since I was a teenager and the feat is utterly unremarkable. Nay, possibly even geekish. Bah.

Anonymous said...

so proud that I know what "emo" is so that i could be appropriately laughing at your emo run in.

Sending you CRAZY ass good mojo for the BTJ.

xo
counting this as a nacomleavmo - the bonus addition.

Anonymous said...

Right so I just got a chance to listen to all that, and you are so awesome for posting it.
Digging Lykke Li, DeVotchKa, Dawn Kinnard, & Black Kids! Man that boy sounds like Robert Smith, no??
Thanks for doing that! Totally enjoyed it!
:)

Aunt Becky said...

Good luck, lover. You'll do great. Just remember not to use the phrases "cunt,""blowjob," or "rectal suppositories" in your interview. It'll be hard, I know.

You're welcome for all of the creepy search terms that this will get you. I know you'll pay me back.

So BRING IT, PRU!

Tanya said...

Ok... so either I'm having a brain fart or I'm just stupid... what the heck is an emo?

Good luck with the interview!

Anonymous said...

I second Aunt Becky's advice.

Good luck with the interview. It wouldn't happen to be in a city that is in America's Hat would it?

elizasmom said...

I'm still working my way through these ones, but I had to add that one of my faves that he's done was a version of U2's Velvet Dress w/Bono. Actually improved the song, in my opinion, and not least because Bono went all torch singer and even though he's singing sincerely, he sounds as though he's also amused by the treatment the song got and overplays it ever so slightly. So, sexy AND funny. Can't go wrong with that combo.

PiquantMolly said...

Ahh, you're a Bon Iver fan. This guy I work with is obsessed with him -- interviewed him for a magazine he writes for, and ended up at a few of his concerts. He burned me a Bon Iver CD but I've yet to listen to it. Must do so.

GOOD LUCK tomorrow, OMG!!

Defiantmuse said...

ah, good luck. how far away is this very far away place?

DC said...

Good luck with your interview!!

I am new to the blogosphere, so please stop by and say hello if you get a chance! :)

http://lupuspie.blogspot.com

DC said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

I'll be checking in periodically to see how you're doing.

BTW . . . Your daughter is adorable!

Brigindo said...

I grew up with Jimmy Cliff and just love him. Thanks for that. I remember his version of "No Woman, No Cry" but haven't been able to find it.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. It's cool finding other blogs this way.

Your daughter is my kinda woman.

Anonymous said...

Hello, nice to meet you!

C*nt is indeed a naughty word, and a very useful one. No-one pays much attention in our house to Bu**ery F**k any longer, and you are obliged to use C*nt to denote that you are extremely pissed off & would like some attention, please.

I do hope the interview prep is going well.

I am loving your search terms. I had thought that my newly-acquired hairy p*rn afictionados were strange, but Toes inside labia & Titty song midwives? V odd.

This is my second attempt at leaving this comment. I fear that leaving the profanities un-asterisked hurled my comment into an outer darkness of some sort!

Kim said...

Good Luck! Here from NCLM!