11/17/2008

Music Monday: Later with Jools Holland

I've covered music on Jools Holland before, but as it's a weekly show with each series lasting about 5 or 6 shows, it's time to do it again! I dearly love Jools' programme, and ensure I watch it each and every week. An evening of Jools Holland for me revolves around frantic googling of acts, and manic writing on my brother's Facebook wall about them. You have no idea how excited I was to do this MM. Pru, thy name is dork.

Some of the performances are straight from Jools, whereas I had to rely on the bounty of YouTube for some others. Here are some of my favourites from this most recent series.

Eli 'Paperboy' Reed and the True Loves: This Dude is 24, has the most soulful voice you've heard in awhile, and looks straight out of Peggy Sue Got Married.

Take My Love With You


It's Easier


MySpace


Carolina Chocolate Drops: Amazing, innovative, and again, you won't see anything like this anytime soon.

Hit 'Em Up Style (yes, that Hit 'Em Up Style)


Cornbread and Butterbeans


Website
MySpace


Little Boots

Meddle


Website
MySpace


Hayes Carll: Yet another American (Texas) artist I'd not heard of until the oh-so-British Later with Jools Holland. XPN listeners (TASH), you'll hear Hayes Carll every once in awhile on their playlist.

Beaumont



Website
MySpace

Eliza Carthy

Two Tears


Like I Care (Wings)


Website
MySpace


Imelda May

Falling in Love with You Again


Johnny Got a Boom Boom


Website
MySpace


Camille O'Sullivan

In These Shoes (not as good as the Kirsty MacColl version, but entertaining nonetheless)


Website
MySpace


Katy Perry - shut up. She's actually not a bad singer, ok? Also, I like her dress.

Waking Up in Vegas


Sia

Buttons


Soon We'll Be Found


MySpace


And finally, Kings of Leon. Yes, you all know who they are, but I love them and that's that.

Sex on Fire


Here's the playlist, but of course you can't find these songs just anywhere, so I've not been able to find all of the songs referenced above. Sorry.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been listening to NPR in your spare time? Cuz both first and second in the playlist have been featured on NPR in the past 2-3 months...

...and I miss Jools' show, too. And his Hootenany.

Who do you reccomend for goodn old american roots music
?? sorry baby on lap (and laptop000k p/

Linda said...

Holy cow, that version of Hit 'Em Up Style rocked my socks. That. was. AWESOME. Love that violin. That is some talent. Delish pick, my dear.

Helen said...

Hey that Imelda May song is stellar.

THat's going on the old iPod today.

Also - I was promised Smiths. What has happened here?

A said...

Yes, I too was under the impression that we would be seeing some Smiths. I'm feeling a little Moz deficient over here, sweets.

Some of these are spectacular.

Anonymous said...

I love Jools Holland and his show. There. I've said it.

Tash said...

Ok, maybe just me, but the KoL "Sex on Fire" song is getting wayyyyy to much airplay here, on a few stations I listen to.

The rest I can dig.