6/22/2008

Music Monday: Possibly/Hopefully New to You

Is it weird I think of you when I'm listening to my iPod? Songs come up which make me want to preach of their brilliance, and as my husband isn't interested in any music which isn't a lite rock ballad from the 80s (Phil Collins) or a contemporary girl band (Sugababes) you are the victims I'm afraid. Actually, you're not really victims, as you can choose not to hit play on any of these, as no doubt some of you do. Be advised though, you don't know what you're missing.

This week's theme is music which I hope will serve as your first introduction to these bands/singers. It's hardly as if I've picked little-known acts, I'm not that much of a hipster. I subscribe to a lot of music blogs and I listen to independent radio stations, no underground knowledge here.

We'll start out with something a bit peppy, Mr Hudson and The Library, "Too Late, Too Late", a snazzy little contemporary ska number. Little fact - when promoting their album they played...libraries. A band that does a tour of libraries. Awesome. Anyone else fancy the singer too? Shut up, I like a man in a suit. Sexay.



She and Him: You Really Got a Hold On Me

"She" is the actress Zooey Deschanel (Elf, The Happening, etc) and "Him" is the singer M. Ward



Bat for Lashes: What's a Girl to Do



Ben Harper feat. Blind Boys of Alabama: I Shall Not Walk Alone

I'm sure quite a few of you will be familiar with Ben Harper, who is somehow married to the plainer-than-plain Laura Dern. I think you'll agree, he's far too hot for her. Also, what is this preoccupation of mind with hot singers? It's like I'm a friggin' groupie. Ugh.



Cat Power: Lived in Bars

Some of her songs in my iTunes are classified as "easy listening", which, I assure you, she is not. I shudder at the thought of having this classification of music on my mp3 player.



Joanna Newsom: Book of Right On

Wacky and delightful. That is all.



Kate Maki: Blue Morning

One of my new Canadian obsessions. Love, LOVE this woman. I always read comparisons to Lucinda Williams (also, love), but I feel like comparisons always diminish the individuality of the artist being discussed. Anyway, Kate Maki might sound like Lucinda Williams.



The Knife: Marble House

I included The Knife a couple of weeks ago, but as it was a different song I've given myself permission to include them again here.



The National: Fake Empire

Some uplifting music. Heh.



The Streets: Blinded by the Lights

Beware, it's the evil rap music, or as a colleague in her late 50s calls it, "the hippity hop". I suppose technically it's "garage", but whatever. Don't worry, I don't have the hots for this guy, though he did once talk about how much he worships Johnny Cash...



StellaStarr*: My Coco

I'll end this on a jolly note, just as this post began. I would have preferred an album version versus a live one, but all of those are unembeddable because StellaStarr* are the biggest band in the world or something. Either that, or they're a band who had a random fun little single four years ago and nothing since. I'm not sure which...

9 comments:

Sizzle said...

I am totally into She and Him. I just bought it this weekend. I'm diggin' Kate Maki- thanks for the suggestion. :)

Brigindo said...

I'm totally NOT buying the victim status. I love being introduced to new music. And good for Laura Dern, 'cause Ben Harper is totally hot!

Tash said...

Ok, this post makes me feel slightly hip in my elderly hiphoppity (LOVE. IT) cuz I already listen to Ben Harper, and the Blind Boys, albeit separately. (That song started to make me cry so I moved along.) Plus I LOVE Cat Power already, so there. Mr. Hudson had me at his band name, but "It makes it too easy for them to put you down" may be my new motto.

Did you listen to wxpn when you were in these parts? Best radio station I've encountered (save for the now defunct kstm in Phoenix), you can here them via the net. They play a lot of these.

I listened to every one this time, thanks a bunch.

kate said...

I can officially say that I've never heard any of these before (heard OF, but never actually heard). I totally dig your music posts because I will assuredly hear a bunch of shit that I really, really like.

You rock.

elizasmom said...

Bat for Lashes — LOVE! Thanks for the tip.
And I feel VERY hip on account of I already knew about The National and that song is delightfully wonderfully great!
And, yep Mr Hudson is fanciable. I think it's the crooked grin.

Miss Feisty said...

Where have I been...I have never heard of any of these! But, I am glad you introduced us :)

Major Bedhead said...

I don't know why, but none of the YouTube links seem to be working tonight. If my sieve of a brain remembers, I'll check them out tomorrow.

Helen said...

Zooey Deschanel is my secret girl crush.

What? We all have one. Right?

Right?

WonderMama said...

I am not only a blog writing slacker, I'm a blog commenting slacker. I don't know if I've commented on Music Monday before or not, but I love it! I especially love the 90's one that was like a flash back to my "glory years" Ah, college in the 90's....