1/14/2006

42 things about me that you probably wouldn't care to know anyway

As a departure from the miserable tone that has pervaded my writing lately, I will finally do this survey that I was tagged for about 6 years ago.

Seven things to do before I die:

1. See all of my favourite works of art (of which there are many) in person
2. Raise my future child(ren) to be fair-minded, sensitive, and cultured people
3. Have a home studio to explore different artistic mediums, regardless of the quality of the outcome
4. Be extraordinarily well-read
5. Buy a pair of sinfully expensive shoes
6. Learn Russian
7. Volunteer regularly at an animal shelter

Seven things I cannot do:
1. Not procrastinate
2. Make friends easily
3. Wear ugly shoes
4. Wear tights in the rain (it's a sensory thing)
5. Deal well with condescension
6. Aerobics (I'm not very coordinated)
7. Watch RSPCA commercials or animal rescue shows without some serious tears being shed

Seven things that attract me to my spouse:
1. His random and abstract sense of humour
2. His gorgeous, bright blue eyes
3. His sexy, soccer player legs
4. His motivation, which counteracts my extreme procrastination
5. He stands up for what he believes in and is not afraid to speak his mind
6. He will be the most doting and adoring father imaginable
7. His sincerity - when he says I'm beautiful, I believe him

Seven things I say most often:
1. Fucking hell
2. Yeah right! (said in Napoleon voice...Dynamite, not Bonaparte)
3. Monty is an asshole. (Monty = canary)
4. Drive safely
5. There is a blog I read ...
6. Basically
7. I'm tired

Seven books I love:

This is where I let everyone down. I've only not been in school for about two years in my entire life and as such have little time to read for fun, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson
Naked, David Sedaris
Click Clack Moo, Doreen Cronin
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
Black Boy, Richard Wright
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer (no, seriously)

Seven movies I watch over and over again:
Overboard - I can't help it
Crocodile Dundee II - ditto
The Princess Bride
The Big Lebowski
The Red Violin
O Brother, Where Art Thou
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Now, in honour of International (not just National, people!) De-Lurking Week, I encourage those of you hiding in the shadows to come out, if only for a moment. You can stay completely anonymous, assuming Blogger allows you to do so. Lurkers lurk for a reason, so I don't want to force anyone to unmask themselves. I would like to know at least one completely random thing about you. This is open to lurkers and the regulars as well. Speak!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

One random thing? All right. My pupils are permanently dilated. One more than the other. Looks frickin' weird once you notice it.

beagle said...

Hello, found you via Lindy.

One random thing about me? My family moved so often growing up that my "where are you from?" listing often prompts people to ask if I'm a "military brat". To which I must reply "No." My father was a restless wanderer.

I enjoyed reading your 42 things!

Kellie said...

One random thing? I'm 10 years older than my hubby. His mother was all set to hate me, but she loves me bunches :)

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand to have anyone touch my belly button--nor can I touch it myself. I am absolutely terrified by the idea of it "popping out" as it is supposed to during pregnancy.
How's that for random?

Bittermama said...

I love your book list... the couple I haven't heard of I'll have to run out and find soon.

Anonymous said...

I love fried Plantains!

Helen said...

It is completely acceptable to admit to liking "Overboard". It's not maybe something to shout out or put on your CV, but hell-the film? Yeah. She's ok.

Anonymous said...

This is actually my first visit, but I'll bite anyway... One random thing, huh? My house is filled with smoke cause I burned the hashbrowns. =) OOPS!

DrSpouse said...

One random thing:

I first learned to ski when I was four, but I am rubbish, since I still ski like I was four - complete with falling down when I can't cope, which hurts a lot more when you aren't so close to the ground, and having a tantrum when I do.

Anonymous said...

One random, and slightly embarassing thing about me: I own 40 Barbra Streisand albums. Yes, I am evidently a 60-year old gay man.

And Overboard fucking rocks, man.

Anonymous said...

My random thing - I can't stand having my head/hair touched. Makes me crazy.

Anonymous said...

One random thing?

I have been able to take apart and rebuild a PC for 6 years, but didn't get my first computer (laptop) until about 4 months ago.

MC said...

One random thing about me, I can't stand the feel of icy pole sticks or wooden spoons.
Love the list.

Linda said...

Pru, I loved your books and movie lists. Some of my faves on both! One random thing about me: I used to model nude for art schools when I was in college. No, I am not kidding. You can stop laughing now.

Anonymous said...

I'll de-lurk for a minute....My random thing is that I have two very different ears. One is missing the little ridge at the top. Drives me crazy but no one notices it unless I point it out.

Lut C. said...

When I'm not busy being IF, I'm a geek reading Slashdot and advising my friends to use Firefox and Thunderbird.

Anonymous said...

I have 5 brothers.

Anonymous said...

Overboard?!?!

It's a good movie, but it's not one of those that if it's on I will watch it. I like it, but Goldie Hawn gets on my nerves after a while.

Anonymous said...

Debbie

One random thing, I live in Vidalia, Georgia. Home of those sweet Delicious Vidalia Onions!

Lame Huh???

Anonymous said...

One completely random thing, I die and go to heaven when someone does a good foot massage on me. Amazing feeling.

Anonymous said...

New reader here. Found you via...I can't remember it was so long ago last week.

Random thing about myself: I love dried apricots but I can't eat the regular orange ones you buy at any old grocery store, because I'm allergic to the sulfites, and so I eat the unsulphered ones you can get at Trader Joes even though they give me horribly smelling gas. I can only eat them on "work at home" days.

Fertility Faux Pas said...

One random thing about me...I hate the word "panties". It creeps me out.

Pamplemousse said...

I absolutely adore hard-boiled eggs and could eat them at every meal.

Good to hear that things are going swimmingly with Morrissey Jnr.

Amyesq said...

Morissey Jr. - gotta love that. Now picturing tiny baby w/Morrissey haircut.

Um.. I HATE balloons. Am very jumpy and so when I see one I sit and cringe, waiting for it to pop.

Anonymous said...

I love to read the stories on crimelibrary.com. The sicker the better.

OvaGirl said...

I collect Baby Jesi. I started when I lived in Paris 6 years ago. They are very hard to buy here in Australia separated from the whole nativity scene. Once, at a half yearly sale at a department store I found a Baby Jesus I wanted and took it to the cash register claiming that it was alone with other miscellaneous christmas ornaments even though I had seen the rest of his family on another shelf.

I put them out every Christmas and now that I'm finally pregnant I can't bear to put them away again even though it's nearly the end of January.

Nico said...

i love that you asked people to post random things... what a great way to get to know a little more about them.

My random thing - when I was in Grade 1, one of the prefects was a boy whose forearm had been amputated. I would bury my face in the hair of the girl standing in front of me when we were in line in the mornings when he passed by, so I wouldn't have to look. No idea what made me think of that, but it sure is random! I'm embarassed about it now, but I was five!

Anonymous said...

Only been lurking for a couple of days and I'm totally addicted to your posts!
My random thing: I have to get my hands wet before I brush my teeth or it feels really wierd.

Anonymous said...

I love it that "Fucking hell" is in the #1 spot for things you say. My random information: my two favorite colloquial curses are "Shit fire and save matches!" and "For crying in the buttermilk!" (The last is from my Kansan grandmother; the first from a particularly beloved college prof in Texas.)

On your thought about wanting to "Raise my future child(ren) to be fair-minded, sensitive, and cultured people": I found it so interesting that those were the qualities you chose. Q: When we think about teaching our children how to be adults in this world, do we seek the qualities we lack, or try to pass on what we already have? For instance, we had culture practically coming out the ears in my birth family, since my mother used to take us to one museum or another every weekend without fail. (I can also recite reams of Shakespeare at the drop of a hat, though the only people who listen without wincing are my cats.) It would never have occurred to me to *try* to make sure my (hopeful) future children have culture -- whatever that may be -- since it just seems to be part of the ready-made mix.

I thought about what I *would* try to teach my child, and the concepts of "Bravery" and "Defending the weak" popped up immediately. Hm. I am not a particularly brave person, so perhaps that's why I would like to instill that quality in my kid.

In any case, you gave me food for quite a lot of thought! Thanks