10/05/2008

Idle Hands are the Devil's Tools

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had an idea about another blog. I know, I know, I'm patchy at best with this one, and the other one, well...a year with no updates is usually considered kind of bad, but the logistics of this new idea make it less work than either of my other two blogs. Er, and that private one I haven't updated in three months. Anyway, I digress. My other concern is that my idea isn't a new one. What I would like to do is start an anonymous forum for people to write what they can't on their own blogs. Of course, this would also extend to the five blogless people left in this world. I know we are often silenced by the knowledge of who our readers are - whether they are family members we don't want reading about our sex lives, or a reader base who may object to unpopular opinions we may have.

I'm aware that HBM has this market cornered with the great, often heartbreaking Her Bad Mother's Basement. However, if hundreds and thousands of mommy blogs can exist, why can't we add another cloaked-in-darkness-and-anonymity blog? I feel quite unoriginal in hijacking this idea, but I also know it is something which would surely be utilised.

Those who know me well would question the wisdom in me receiving even more emails, as I am such a very awful emailer. This has occurred to me as well, but it seems all I would really have to do is cut and paste into Blogger. Yes, I may at times send my child to school with a thick crust of snot, yoghurt, and milk layering her upper lip due to my own inability to manage time effectively, but I swear, I can totally handle this!

An issue would be that in making a submission (to an address as yet determined), you are of course surrendering some anonymity. I can only promise you that if your email address is one which I recognise, nothing would be said to anyone about it. You could even set up another email address if you're that bothered. That's what I did would do if in that situation.

I would like your feedback, because this stolen concept is my new baby. It doesn't scream until hoarse, ensure you only sleep 4 hours a day, or have reflux. Or, as happened today, tell you, "I don't want to hit you Mum." This is much more my speed at the moment, in contrast to the real kind of baby my husband is pushing me to want. That might be something I blog about anonymously one day, on my Brand New Spanking Secret Blog. Hey, that's an idea for a title - Blog Secret. Like Post Secret, but not nearly as good. I take the concept and the title from other blogs. I'm such a class act. I've just gone off that idea in the past 35 seconds, since the posts wouldn't necessarily be secrets, just things that could not be said in the usual places. Secrets welcome, but not obligatory.

That is my painfully long-winded way of saying - suggestions? Overall, and in regard to title. J, I hope you do not come up with the winning title again. It would be weird that you'd named two of my three blogs. Also, the winner might get chocolate. Chocolate, or something British. For instance, British chocolate. Just don't expect it in a timely manner, see above for explanation.

Reader Request Week 2 to follow tomorrow.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great idea as I have recently found out that some of my in laws have found my blog. I know it has definately made me rethink what it is I want to write out in the open and have passworded quite a few posts because of it.

As for an idea for the title ... Closet Chronicles or Junto Journal ... because I could always use more choclate.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, yes, yes. Part of the reason I post less frequently on my own site is that my whole family found my blog (more particularly my inlaws) and it makes things awkward. And BOY DO I HAVE SOME STORIES TO TELL. I don't really have any name ideas...how about "I Think We're Alone Now," a la Tiffany?

Brigindo said...

I think it's a great idea. Amazing what happens when our families find our blogs. I was outed by my family this summer and posting hasn't been the same since. What's worse is most of them won't admit to having found my blog but instead insist on reading it "in secret."

Major Bedhead said...

This Is Not The Blog You Are Looking For. Tagline: You Can Go About Your Business.


It's the best I could come up with at such short notice....

Caro said...

Great idea.

How about: Nothing to see here (this is a local blog). You probably need to have watched too much British comedy to get the reference though.

elizasmom said...

I want chocolate, but I like Major Bedhead's suggestion much more than anything I am coming up with.

Which is to say, yes, please, new blog!

Kristi said...

Oh right. Mush. Um? Whoops? I dropped the ball on that one too, so I share in the blame.

I love the idea for your new blog. As I currently operating on less than 4 hours of sleep every night for the past two weeks or so, I have no suggestions for names, but I'm anxious to here where you go with this.

Molly said...

No name suggestions, but I'd definitely be up for it.

Anonymous said...

Great idea ... partic cos people adding stuff in one place rather than all starting their own secret blogs means that you would get more of a community.

Names names names ...

Blog Club

First rule of blog club? Do not talk about blog club!

Anonymous said...

totally dig it. A friend of mine has a blog called Arcane Matters and a few months ago she did a post on secrets. She asked readers to anonymously leave a comment with a secret or a secret fear or a confession. It was seriously awesome. (I'll have to find it and e-mail you the link)

I often wish I could say outloud some of the things that I can't really say on my blog.

Blog Name Ideas:
Spill it before you Kill it (or just 'Spill it'with images of spilled milk or um blood spatter. heh)

In the locked book.

Swallow the Key

Aunt Becky said...

I've been itching for a place to do this. Not only do my (dratted) in-laws read my blog, but all my real life friends and family do. I could use a good vent session about, well, pretty much everything.

Color me IN. I'll help out in any way I can.

Anonymous said...

Seriously great idea.

I have told my two closest friends and the Hubby about the blog, and have kept my trap tight-shut to everyone else. Yet... I still don't feel I can really let loose. It's only a matter of time before I get drunk and blurt out blog's existence. And I would, just occasionally, like to RAWR!