3/15/2007

Don't trust anything that bleeds for 15 days and doesn't die

It's odd to me that women can sometimes have heavy periods for up to seven days and still function without passing out. What happens when you bleed for 15 FUCKING DAYS, with only one day of respite? I'll tell you...you have dizzy spells, are inordinately tired, and are perhaps a touch bitchy.

I phoned my GP yesterday to find out how to end this misery. Her words of wisdom? "Your hormones are wonky enough, I would hate to give you anything to mess them up further." Uh, thanks. When asked if there was a point at which I should become concerned, I was given this most helpful response - "Not really, no." So according to her, I could bleed and bleed for months, no problem! I'm no doctor, but surely losing blood for a long period (ha!) of time is a bad thing? It seems rather straightforward to me. Bleeding = bad, not bleeding = good.

PCOS, where are you? You're supposed to make sure I don't get periods, how are you allowing my body to slough all of this lining? Keep the lining, turn released ovum into cysts, anything but constant bleeding! Do that thing you do!

I seem to recall some bloggers have had really long periods as well, are any of you out there? I must confess I never bothered to retain the details because I had quite the opposite problem at the time. I googled this issue and one poor enquirer on a women-friendly message board was told by a fellow poster and general ignoramus:

"Hi if your symptoms are that bad go the emergency room.It has been known that woman can bleed to death from having long heavy periods,I should know my moma all most did.Please seek medical attention NOW."

No fear-mongering there, thanks sister. I love that her moma (Museum of Modern Art?) damn near died, as well as the insistence that the initial poster should go to the emergency room NOW. When I read the thread I wondered if the poor woman saw that response, threw down her laptop, and rushed her still-bleeding loins to the ER.

I won't be going to the ER. I'll just be over here popping my Multivitamin & Iron supplements, occasionally falling into a heap on the floor when my head feels like it's floating away from my body like a balloon. Hey, at least it means I won't be shamelessly pandering for your affections.

21 comments:

May said...

Oh, this is yet one more item from splendid arsenal of joyful tricks PCOS keeps on stand-by incase all the others haven't driven you completely nuts. My gynaecologist cracked and gave me Provera after I had been bleeding more days than not since September, and he and his team wanted to go spelunking up there. I expect, when I stop taking it at the end of this week, everything will go leaky again. Apparantly it's brought on by excess estrogen (Though I have a possible polyp to complicate matters). And yes, you do get very tired and grouchy and (ah ha ha ha) deflated, but so far I haven't collapsed. I almost wish I had. That'll teach the doctors to look bewildered and, worse unconcerned. (Snarling noises).

I have no idea what the answer is. But it SUCKS big green poisonous bunny-butt. This is just a 'Sisterhood and Empathy' comment and not in the least bit useful.

I hope it stops soon.

Flicka said...

Don't quote me on this but I think that for a while, at least, your body will try to keep up with the demand by making incrasing amounts of red blood cells. Make sure you are eating and drinking plenty so that it has the resources to do so. Dcotor Mama? Liana? Am I right or just another internet whacko? I have a moma too, you know.

j said...

Well, MoMA WAS out of commission for a few years but I'd hardly call it dying, though one had to go to Queens to see the permanant collection during those years and one also might say that was a pretty big hardship.

Seriously though - My PCOS, while having been a wily trip, hasn't kept me bleeding for longer than a few days. I don't think you need to be an extreme ER visiter - I think your plan of action is pretty logical.

Mostly, I'm thinking of what you could be doing with all the money you would have saved had you not spent it all on 10 extra days of "feminine hygene products."

bri said...

I know nothing but... EW. I am very sorry you are bleeding and that medical professionals find this acceptable. Can you find a different person who might do something? These are the things that make me have tantrums in life.

Mollywogger said...

Ooo! This sounds like a fun new adventure!

If it makes you feel any better about yourself, there's a middle-aged woman in one of my classes who regularly wears shirts with Winnie the Pooh characters on them, so it could be worse.

Jenn said...

PCOS can make this happen too. I bled for a full month once, though it was light. They ended up putting me on BCP to stop it.

DD said...

Your husband should take advantage of the fact you would be a rather cheap date at this point. Then again...would WOULD be the point afterwards?

Millie said...

I got nothing in the way of advice except perhaps you need more than a GP in this situation.

I hope you don't continue to break records and spend all your money on "feminine hygiene productts" when you be out buying Winne the Pooh tshirts to get molly to make fun of you.

Rachel said...

But I LOVE the shameless pandering! I love it!

Sorry to hear you're um, leaky. I am starting to wonder if my period is ever going to come back. I don't really miss it that much, so I'm kind of hoping it decides to stay away as long as it wants to.

The upside? With less blood in your body, you'll get drunk quicker. Maybe that will help? Nah, probably not!

Lut C. said...

I love gynaecologie, don't you?
Especially when the answer is, we don't really know but we assume it's ok.

Alexa said...

Oh yes. PCOS is full of fun and variety. I had a 22 day period about five years ago and got the same bewildered shrug from my OBGYN. She seemed spectacularly unconcerned, and put me on birth control, which did stop it a few days later. PCOS can cause all kinds of wonky bleeding, your lining can get too "plump," or something. They think that is why I got a period every 35-45 days usually even though I wasn't ovulating--PCOS/estrogen related bleeding when levels reach a certain point. So BCP would be your best bet, and I highly recommend Yasmin if you go that route, as its progestin is a mild anti-androgen and does wonders for my PCOS symptoms.

Panda said...

Yes yes *nods wisely* I thought I was bleeding to death when my period returned too. And each cycle I still think that. I DID go to the ER and they muttered somethign about possible fibroids but really I think its the endometriosis.

Stupid bodies.

SarahD said...

The only helpful thing I did for myself (or could do) was start eating MiniWheats because of the iron levels in them. Other than that, unfortunately, I couldn't come up with anything else. The doc suggested BCP but couldn't gurantee I wouldn't end up with breakthrough bleeding from those instead of the bleeding I was already having.

julia said...

I got nothing for you. I just wanted to say you're not alone in the head floating away from the body feeling. I wish I could lie on the floor and watch it float away. I can't blame that on a period, though, since I still haven't gotten mine back since having The Bug. In August.

rockmama-in-waiting said...

If you DID go to A&E, you'd probably only have a relaxing 4-5 hour wait to be given an asprin or something. Bastards.

Sassy said...

There needs to be a Dick List for useless doctors so we can warn each other and compare horror stories.

I have no useful information to share but I do hope your body sorts its shit out soon.

Nico said...

fifteen days?? That is just not right! Is this your first bleed since P?

Suz said...

I can barely deal with my 5 day periods; the 15 days would drive me nuts. I hope it ends soon.

cat said...

I hear that drinking cows blood can help with that problem.

Ok all kidding ass-ide. Hope that flow is stopped soon and they figure out a solution for you.

btw- thanks so much for the support darlin' much appreciated.

Kristi said...

Oh geez. That sounds awful. Hopefully your little P will be a good girl and mix her mommy a nice drink to make her feel better.

JMB said...

The long periods (although not heavy, but enough to require, erm, products) was the main reason that I went on the pill in my college days. This was a good 8 years before anyone believed me about my PCOS.

My experience was once we found the right dosage of the pill, it really helped on the symptom front, and things evened out. The periods went down to 5-7 days, tops. I didn't go back on the pill after I had our son, since my one feeble attempt made my milk supply take a serious downturn. However, once our second baby is weaned, I plan on getting back on it. I just feel a lot better.